Best in class solutions with International ETA approvals
On 1st April 2015, Eurocode design standard has replaced British Standards as Singapore’s prescribed building codes for structural design. (BCA_Newsroom)
Comprising of a series of 10 European Standards, they are considered one of the world’s most advanced structural design codes. This also means that there is now a specific set of codes that also addresses the design method post-installed rebar and anchors.
In EC2 Clause, it states that the design methods for post-installed rebar connections must follow EC2/Technical Report 023. And for post-installed anchors, the design must follow ETAG 001 Annex C. Thus, the design methods for the two applications are completely different.
Structural Rebar connections - EC2 / TR 023
Structural Rebar connections and extensions can be safely designed like cast-in connections utilizing the design provisions provided within Eurocode 2 and EOTA TR023
Anchor connections - ETAG 001 Annex C / TR 029
- The European Technical Approval Guideline 001 “Metal Anchors for used in Concrete” sets out the basis for assessing anchors to be used in concrete.
- Tests in cracked or un-cracked concrete.
- Structural design under Dynamic load; Shock, Seismic (NEW!) and Fatigue.
- Up to 2 hours fire resistance.
- Design formulas according to 4 different failure modes:
Design Steel Resistance,
NRd,s = NRk,s / ˠMs
Design Concrete Cone Resistance
NRd,c = (N0Rk,c / ˠMc) . (Ac,N / A0C,N) .
Ψs,N . Ψre,N . Ψec,N
Design Pull-out Resistance,
NRd,p NRd,c = (N0Rk,p / ˠMp) . (Ap,N / A0p,N) .
Ψs,Np . Ψg,Np . Ψec,Np . Ψre,Np . Ψc
Design Splitting Resistance,
NRd,sp NRd,c = (N0Rk,c / ˠMc) . (Ac,N / A0c,N).
Ψs,N . Ψre,N . Ψec,N . Ψh,sp
BS8539 Your Roles and Responsibilities for Post-Installation
BS8539 is the code of practice for selection and installation of post-installed anchoring. It is also linked to the relevant European regulations, especially with respect to selecting products with the CORRECT European Technical Approval or Assessment’s (ETA) for the application.
Who does it affect?
Everyone; designers, specifiers, contractors, installers, testers, manufacturers and suppliers.
What does it mean for specifiers?
- Determine the most appropriate anchor for the particular application (cracked or un-cracked concrete).
- Use the appropriate design method (anchor design and rebar design is different!) for the anchor.
- Specification of the chosen product should be made explicitly and completely, so that the anchor installed on site fulfills the design criteria.
- Information about the selected anchor provided to the contractor/installer should include:
- Full description – ETA number (anchor and rebar have separate ETA!), type, size, description
- Installation instructions
- Guidance on what to do if reinforcement is hit when drilling
Hilti offers best in class solutions with international ETA approvals
Structural connections with post-installed rebar
(e.g. extension/connection to walls, slabs, stairs, columns, foundations, etc.)
HIT-RE500 Epoxy Adhesive Anchor designed to meet the most stringent standards of the latest building codes.
- Especially suitable for large-diameter and/or deep embedment depths ETA for rebar:
- Approved rebar size is stated within ETA on page 3
Anchoring structural steel connections
(e.g. steel columns, beams, etc.)
HIT-HY200 -R achieves the highest bond strength of all adhesive mortar.
- Fulfills the requirements of the most demanding ETA C2 approvals for seismic applications
- ETA for anchor (cracked / uncracked concrete):Approved anchor size is stated on cover page
Specifiers who would like to delve deeper, Hilti provides
- FREE seminars featuring:
- Decoding Eurocode for Post-Installation
- ETAG 001 Annex C for Anchor Design (cracked or uncracked concrete)
- Seismic Design
- Calculation software and design with PROFIS
- Installation training for contractors on-site to ensure safe use
- Hilti provides 2.5% complimentary on-site pull-out test